Thursday, June 6, 2013

Uncertainty but with some good points and a lot of hope

The University I'm going to do the top-up of my Dip HE Comp & IT is now doing changes to their planned modules. The contents will be unveiled near September. I now do not know if they will change the module contents as well or not.

I liked the old modules and their practical approach, they were the reason for me to decide to study with them, now everything is a bit uncertain until they will publish the new structure.

For now I know they are going to increase the number of credits per module from 15 to 20 and thus will be reducing the number of modules in the top-up year from 8 to 6. I also know that they are now asking for an English qualification for foreign students.

Another good point with this degree is that from the 8 modules they had they only had 1 exam (that was equivalent to the 40% of the module grade only!). That was another reason for me to select them as even when I do not fear exams at all I was searching for a practical approach that would allow me to use the knowledge in my day-by-day work at the same time I was learning it.


Good points: I will have less modules meaning I probably will reduce a year of studies.

Hope: I just hope they accept that if I have finished an undergraduate degree already with a good grade that demonstrates I can study another undergraduate level in English and would accept my application without any academic English qualification exam to be sit. Should that's not the case I will probably search for another University that be more open minded on this point as I just do not want to have to waste 6 months - or a year - of my life going to an academy course just to pass a stupid exam I do not need at all.

I also hope the modules I liked the most still remain in the new structure.

I'm happy these changes are happening before I'm going into the degree instead of while I'm inside. I do not want to live the situation of starting a degree that is being created on the fly so I will probably wait to finish my BSc with The OU before starting it, leaving them another year to define their modules and have them all in place.